Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pumpkin Walnut Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting

Pumpkin Walnut Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting


I realize that:
1. This is my third post involving cookies
2. This is my second post out of the three involving pumpkin cookies

I am allll about pumpkin right now!! I'm sure it has to do with the WONDERFUL cool autumn-like weather we've been having the past few days.. goodbye tank tops, helllllllo sweaters! I promise that this is the last pumpkin cookie recipe I will be posting for awhile (probably). We just bombarded our house with pumpkin hand soaps in both of our bathrooms and at the kitchen sink. We also added a pumpkin 'wallflower' plug in, some pumpkin oil for the oil burner, and of course a pumpkin air freshener for my car. All compliments of Bath and Body Works. Yeah I sound pumpkin obsessed and pathetic right now. But mmm does it smell good here! So this is partly my excuse as to why I made more pumpkin cookies. Another reason was the last recipe only used up half of the can of pumpkin, which meant I had a cup of pumpkin left that I wouldn't even THINK about wasting.. especially considering canned pumpkin is extinct in this area!

These cookies are a bit more dense and a bit spicier than the other ones, and the brown butter frosting is absolutely to DIE for. I added walnuts to some, but omitted them in most of the cookies because most of the people I feed aren't fans of walnuts in cookies. You can't go wrong with these cookies. Not to mention they are from Magnolia's cookbook. That says enough right there. Enjoy these, I sure enjoyed my half.. and once again will enjoy my other half later this evening, haha.




Pumpkin Walnut Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting
Cookie
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted these)

Frosting
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Garnish
Walnut Halves (I garnished about a 1/4 of the cookies)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

To make the cookies:
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until evenly combined. Add the eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla, and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stir in the walnuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. The batter will seem extremely soft compared with most cookie doughs, but it will firm up during baking. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 10-12 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting:
Place the sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the butter until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add to the other ingredients, and beat until smooth and creamy. Cover until ready to use.
When cookies are completely cool, spread a generous amount of frosting on each cookie, and top with a walnut half. Let the icing set before stacking the cookies or they will stick together.



2 comments:

  1. Love the blog Liz!!! You remind me of the movie Julie/Julia, only cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Nicole!! I was dying to do a blog back when i watched that movie haha.. now i'm finally doing it! =)

    ReplyDelete